Saturday, September 8, 2012

On A Guide to Help You Along the Way~



Dear Jaclyn,
Thank you for the recommendation! I hope you don't mind me posting this publicly on my blog! :) 
-K 

Jaclyn said...

Hi K!

I've been going through your blog, which is amazing by the way. It's so great of you to take the time to answer questions and give insight in the life at Berkeley. =D

To reciprocate your generosity I wanted to let you know of this book that could be helpful to all the premeds including yourself, because you are still also an undergrad student and must still have alot of questions as to what med school actually is.

The book is called "Med School Confidential, A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience: By students, for Students" (Bissell DM M.D., Miller RH)
It's pretty much what it says, a guide. It has everything.

It helps with deciding whether or not to be premed as an undergrad, and for the late-comers as a postbac (because there are people who decide to premed after college; I didn't know that but now it seems obvious haha).

It gives some info on the MCAT, med school apps process, choosing a med school, how to handle acceptance/rejection, things to do before going to med school (once accepted), funding for med school, preclinical years, med school courses, actual clinical years, problems in the ward, clinical rotations, applying for residence... it goes on and on... just like the life of a med student haha.

It even has a section where it gives advice for spouses, partners, families, and significant others of med students so that should be helpful.

I haven't read the whole book since I'm just an undergrad sophomore here but the pages I've read were really helpful and helped me get a better sense as to what the career path actually entails.

If you've heard bad things about the book then feel free to bash on it. Haha =D

Thanks and your blog is much appreciated,
Jaclyn

2 comments:

  1. No problem =]

    I have another question.
    I know in a previous dear reader post that someone asked you about taking bio1a with lab and chem 3b in the spring, and then taking physics 8a and chem3bl in the summer, and that you said it's doable.

    Would bio1a with lab and chem3b with lab also be doable in the spring? and then just physics 8a over the summer. Or is it better to just focus on one lab because bio1a I heard was super difficult?

    Thanks K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on taking Chem 3b, Chem 3AL and Physics 8A along with a easy r5b in spring 2013. Does this sound like a heavy load?

    ReplyDelete