Thursday, December 16, 2010

On Chem 1A

I have a lot of respect for Chem 1A. Why? Because it gave me a run for my money. Here's a little bit about the class for all you potential pre-meds coming to berkeley:
Berkeley has one of the best chemistry departments in the US- our chem is top notch. Thus, it's only fair to say that berkeley's chem class (even general chemistry) is harder than some chem classes in other schools. Chem 1A has four midterms and one final. They've been changing the system around, but this year, our grade was solely based on our exam points- midterm 1 = 75 points, midterm 2 = 100 pts, midterm 3 = 100 pts, and midterm 4 = 75 points. Depending on how you do on non-exam points (which consists of homework, lab, quizes, iClicker, etc), points are added or deducted from your exam points (calculated from an equation). The final is worth 250 points, so about 40% of your grade- which is huge...
Also, the class is curved, so up to 85% is an A, and up to 70% is a B, and so on.

When I calculated my grades before my final, I determined that I would need a D on my final in order to get a B in the class (with non-exam points added and a slight further curve at the end of the semester- it's complicated). So, I studied all week  during dead week/RRR (a week of no school to study for finals) and went in to take the chem final semi-confident. Mind you, I read that the final usually drops peoples' grades by 10%, so I was freaking out before and after the final. 16 pages and 3 hours later, I was ready to blow my brains out. I have never taken a test that hard before. The next day, short answer scores were up and what do you know? I got a C! But I couldn't psyche myself out just yet because the multiple choice scores would really mess me up. So, the next day, I check my grades online and see that I got a C on my multiple choice! Resulting in a B overall in the class!! Whoo!!! I didn't fail gen chem! I was literally ready to cry, I was so relieved and happy. After the final, I was prepared to accept a C in the class.
I know this may be a random post, but I posted this for all the future premed Chem 1A-ers who are worried about chem. I wasn't so worried in the beginning of the semester because I did ok in AP chem in  high school. Let me tell you, don't let AP chem fool you about berkeley's chem.
So, Good luck to you all and let me know if you have any questions!

-K

2 comments:

  1. Hi I enjoy reading your blog. I was wondering if you would do a post on the different housing at Berkeley later on. I have looked at the site but it just gives in overview... it would be nice on an insider view. P.S. I like stern because its all girls/close to the engineering school(i believe?)... Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you know about Saykally?

    ReplyDelete