Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Dear Reader 45


Anonymous said...
Hi K,
so I had a rough first semester, with an extremely low grade in a class that tanked my gpa. First semester: 2.98 GPA Second semester: 3.71 GPA, CUM: 3.35
I know I may have 2 more years before I want to apply, but it seems unrealistic that I will get 4.0's every semester to reach 3.6+, though it is the goal I am striving toward. Do you think, realistically, I still have a chance at a top tier med school? Or even any med school. Also, any advice for contacting professors and finding research for the school year? I'm currently interning at a biotech company, but I don't think I have enough classes under my belt to be of use in a professor's lab.

Dear Anonymous,
Of course you still have a chance at medical school! :) Just keep in mind that med schools take into account science gpa as well as cum. gpa. Also, if you're still worried about your gpa after 2 years, you can always stick around for another year and take a year off (which the majority of students are doing now anyway) or do a post bacc. Getting around a 3.5 might be slightly tough for top tier schools but should be fine for mid/low tier schools (btw, all med schools are top schools in my opinion hahaha). As for finding research for the school year, I would suggest emailing professors early on and let them know you have background experience in research. I think they care more for that than having taken relevant classes at berkeley, but that's just my opinion. :) 
Best of luck!
-K 

No comments:

Post a Comment