Saturday, March 31, 2012

On Being Pre-med at UC Berkeley III


There seemed to be a spike in blog views this week.. I wondered why until I discovered that admissions to UCs has been posted. For those of you who got into Berkeley (and other schools you wanted to go to), Congratulations! For those of you who haven't, don't worry- you'll find happiness wherever you end up! :) But I understand that saying that is somewhat pointless.. a rejection cuts deep, especially if it's a school that you had your heart set on going to :/ (For me, it was Stanford.. I know, I know.. haha)
A lot of people who view this blog at this time of year are usually those who are debating which school is best for being a premed. This pool usually includes UCLA, USC, UCSD, and one or two schools from the east coast. So here's my list of pros and cons that will hopefully help you out in your decision-making (keep in mind that this is strictly my opinion):

Cons:
1. Grade deflation: I realize almost every school has grade deflation, but I feel it's particularly bad at Berkeley..
2. Housing: dorms are fine, but once you move out, you'll find that the apartments are priced way above what they're actually worth.
3. Dorm food: pretty bad compared to what UCLA dorms offer....
4. Architecture: I don't know why, but I find Berkeley's buildings to be very unattractive and mismatched to one another..
5. Telebears: This is a big one- it's relatively difficult to get the classes you want here at Berkeley. For those of you who don't know, telebears is Berkeley's way of handling class schedules and it simply sucks. You're forced to set up your class schedule in two sessions so it's pointless to plan your whole schedule way in advance since there's a good chance that one of your classes is going to be filled up or there'll be some time conflict between your classes..
6. Homeless/Vagabonds/Hippies: There are a lot of them... just a warning..

Pros:
1. Research: Berkeley has some of the greatest research opportunities you can find as an undergrad.
2. Science department: we have an amazing science department with some of the most prominent professors in academia, which brings me to point 3.
3. Professors: You'll be learning under amazing professors who have a passion for teaching and who really know what they're talking about (well, most of them anyway...)
4. Culture: Berkeley's culture is very unique- not only is Berkeley an extremely diverse campus as far as students go, but it has a history that's unmatched by many other schools. Berkeley is also a progressive school so you can expect it to be at the forefront of change (I'm talking protests, sit-ins, rallies, etc.)
5. Weather: I'm a big fan of cold, cloudy weather, so berkeley's weather was ideal for me haha. And it never gets too hot here, even in summer.
6. Food: I'm not talking about dorm food, i'm talking about restaurant food. My roommates and I always say how spoiled we are here since we have so many types of foods to choose from, albeit a lot of them are indian or thai. And they're all close in proximity and inexpensive as well.
7. Social scene: Berkeley students study hard, but they party equally as hard. There's something or another going on on the weekends, be it at a frat, apartment, co-op, or club in SF.

I know I'm missing a few points, but that's all I can think of at the moment. If there's anything else you would like me to go over, just leave a comment! Good luck! :)

-K 

3 comments:

  1. First, I am an Oakland native, and it is extremely offensive the way you call Oakland and Richmond "Cons" and San Francisco a "Pro". This has nothing to do with safety. This is purely a product of logical fallacies and personal biases. Being in close proximity to Oakland or Richmond does not CAUSE Berkeley to be unsafe at night.

    Berkeley's crime rate is a direct product of its own issues. Berkeley has relatively high crime rates due to an inefficient public education system and a history of redlining. Ever wonder why the areas beyond MLK are so run-down? It is a remnant of racial segregation furthered by discriminatory housing practices. It is completely naive to believe that crime somehow imports itself from Oakland and Richmond to Berkeley. Furthermore, if you think SF is a "Pro" because it makes for fun weekend trips, you must not have ventured past Union Square and seen or felt the desperation and poverty of the Tenderloin.

    If one were truly seeking great art, great food, great people, welcoming communities, and empowering those who need it most, one would find it all in Oakland and Richmond. To be "pre-med" is to work towards a career that helps those who need it most. It is extremely disappointing, then, to read an aspiring doctor be so blatantly ignorant of the rich cultural community that surrounds Berkeley and so gullible to the hedonistic pleasures of a small fraction of San Francisco. I love Oakland and Richmond, and I hope you'll explore the areas and see why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're absolutely right- it was wrong of me to judge the cities before coming to know them well enough to pass any kind of judgement. I was simply stating what seems to be the majority opinion around here. I will edit the list accordingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of, I want to say thank you so much for having this blog!! I've read through a lot of your post and I can tell we have very similar personalities in terms of stressing out haha. I'm very conflicted between Regents with Berkeley and Honor's Chancellor with UCSD. Berkeley is giving me basically a full ride and money is a pretty big factor for me (UCSD is still giving me a lot but not as much). However, when I visited UCSD, I fell in love with the campus and location. I haven't visited Berkeley yet, but I will soon!

    I will be going as a premed. Right now I am undeclared for the college of Letters and Sciences. I did very well in high school but I can't help but be very scared of Berkeley's academics. PLease, please (if you have time) answer the following questions because I have been on google and college confidential for the past 4 hours trying to make up my mind. I am going crazy!!!
    1) If you don't mind me asking, what is your final GPA that you used to apply to medical school??
    2) Do you like/love Berkeley even with all the stress??
    3) On average, how much sleep do you get??
    4) Do you know if UCSD academics is any easier than Berkeley?
    5) Is it true that a higher GPA from UCSD is better for med schools than a lower GPA from Berkeley even though Berkeley is more prestigious?

    If you have any other insightful advice please share! And thanks so much in advance!!


    ReplyDelete