Friday, October 14, 2011

Dear Reader 17


Anonymous said...

Hey,
I'm taking a history class to fulfill breadth requirements that is known for being ridiculously easy. However, it seems as though my GSI is a really hard grader- the class average was a C on our last midterm. I don't think I can easily achieve a solid A, unless I get 100% on all future exams and assignments (which is highly improbable)...
Should I change this class to pass/no pass?
Based on my performance in my 3 other classes, it seems as if I will get As in them.
Do you think 3 As and a P grade would look suspicious?

Dear Anonymous, 

I wouldn't recommend taking classes pass/no pass unless you absolutely have to. That being said, if it looks like you will get a grade in the B range (or above) in your history class, then I suggest you keep it as a letter grade. If it looks like you'll be getting a C, then I would change it to pass/no pass since that will drag your GPA down, which is something a breadth requirement shouldn't do :) The reason for this is because you don't want too many pass/no pass classes on your transcript, since too many will start looking bad. To reiterate, if it looks like you'll be getting somewhere around a B or above, then I would suggest keeping it a letter grade; C or below, probably pass/no pass might be better- if it's a breadth. However, if you really don't want to have this history grade (whatever it may end up being) as part of your transcript or calculated towards your GPA, then as long as you don't go overboard with the pass/no pass classes, taking the history class as P/NP shouldn't look suspicious :) 

Hope this helps and good luck with your classes! :)

-K 

No comments:

Post a Comment