Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Dear Reader 16


Anonymous said...

Hey K,
I want to get started in research this year but it's really hard to find open positions. I haven't heard back from any of the people I've contacted. Do you have any advice on how I can find research?

Dear Anonymous,

First, Try expanding your research field/institutions. For example, instead of only applying to research labs in Berkeley, try LBNL, research hospitals, UCSF, etc. I contacted at least ten researchers from each place and only heard back from three or four total. If you can't find an open position right now, try contacting them again towards the middle of this semester for the beginning of next semester, or the middle of next semester for the summer and following school year. The earlier you contact them, the better. Also, try personalizing each email, addressing what about their research project you're interested in and how you can contribute to the lab- make sure to incorporate how much research experience you have. If this doesn't work, let me know, and we'll try to figure something out :) 

Best of luck! 

-K 

1 comment:

  1. Hey,
    I'm taking a history class to fulfill breadth requirements that is known for being ridiculously easy. However, it seems as though my GSI is a really hard grader- the class average was a C on our last midterm. I don't think I can easily achieve a solid A, unless I get 100% on all future exams and assignments (which is highly improbable)...
    Should I change this class to pass/no pass?
    Based on my performance in my 3 other classes, it seems as if I will get As in them.
    Do you think 3 As and a P grade would look suspicious?

    ReplyDelete