Monday, August 15, 2011

Dear Reader 9


Alice said...

thanks for replying so quickly! I'm really impressed by all your info, and it did help. :) So, I'm in the textbook-buying stage, and I still had a couple questions about the supplies we need...

- I've managed to get a chem textbook for cheap, but I don't know where I can buy the OWL code for it. My friend said the edition of the textbook doesn't matter much, but that the OWL code is essential. where can I find that?
- What's the lab manual required for Chem 1AL?
- Do I have to buy the lab notebook suggested by the Cal bookstore, or would one of my own work? (it's a really nice, lab notebook I've used in previous science classes... does it matter whether I've used about half of it or not?)
- and lastly, does Math 16A and 16B use two separate textbooks?

thank you, again; you're a saint!

Dear Alice,

You're welcome! 
-Yes, the book doesn't matter too much- i think i opened mine about three times the whole semester- but the OWL code is important since the professors assign homework and quizzes online via OWL. I believe some people bought the OWL code separately on the OWL site (http://www.cengage.com/owl) but you might want to try the student bookstore and see if you can buy it there. Since you'll have a week or so before you'll need it (homework is due once a week), I suggest waiting till class starts and asking the professor to be sure, since you want a code that has 'Berkeley' as one of the schools listed. 
- The lab manual is a thin book that has all the experiments listed- it's what you'll be using in lab to do all your experiments.
- As for the lab notebook, you'll be turning in carbon copies of your data/work at the end of every lab and the notebook suggested by the school is the best for that purpose. If your notebook has tear-out carbon copies and you really want to use it, then ask your GSI first just in case :) Otherwise, it does not matter how much of the notebook you've used :) 
-The math 16 series books are two separate textbooks- pretty thin and not too expensive (once again, buy a used one if you can) 

I hope this helped! :)

-K 

2 comments:

  1. do you know how I could land an internship/lab research job? I don't know any of the professors, and I've never done any kind of research before... how am I supposed to stand a a chance against other applicants? do I just email someone, or go up to berkeley labs...??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear K,
    Can you make a post about scholarships? Are there any exclusively for freshmen?
    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete