Thursday, February 3, 2011

On College Food Part I

Sorry for the lack of posting these past few weeks. I haven't been busy per say, I just forgot to get around to it. Once again, sorry!!

Apart from the academics, many incoming college freshman worry about the notorious FRESHMAN 15.
What is this you ask? Well, it's 15 pounds that college freshman gain throughout their first year of college. How? Because all the food at colleges are basically laid out in buffet style, making it very easy to grab seconds, thirds, and possibly fourths. Apart from the dining commons, there's also a variety of little shops and cafes where you can get a quick bite here and there, grab your fourth cup of coffee for the day ; ).

Here at berkeley, apart from the dining commons (which I think suck personally), there's the Golden Bear Cafe which has a grill (hamburgers, tuna melts, fries, tatar tots, crispy chicken etc), sandwich place (kind of like a Subway.. but worse..hahaha), and the salad counter. The grill is o.k for a while but then you get tired of the food real quickly. The sandwiches are also o.k, but the salad has to be the best. This is also in comparison to other salad places around the U.S. I don't usually like salad, but the salad at the GBC is absolutely addicting!

Apart from the GBC, there's Pete's Coffee (the nearest Starbucks is on Shattuck- Downtown Berkeley), which is...a coffee place... hahaha. Not as good as starbucks but still good : )

I almost forgot about the Asian Ghetto! The Asian Ghetto consists of mainly small asian restaurants with one italian restaurant. Eh.. it's ok.. I usually go there for boba and not much else. (there's a Thai place, korean bbq place - sketchy-, doughnut place [not asian I know, but I think it's run by an asian guy], and...other asian restaurants that I can't remember at this time hahaha)

As for me, I actually lost weight coming to college. Since the food was so bad, I stopped eating at the dining commons and  I would just get a salad for dinner every night which a sandwich for lunch and toast or yogurt for breakfast. I have a salad in front of me as we speak.

Now the spring semester is well under way, my roommates and I have decided to go apartment hunting together- scary I know ; )

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment