Monday, October 28, 2013

On a Mid-Semester Evaluation Fall '13


This semester (my last fall semester at cal!) I'm taking Astro C13 (cross-listed with IB), IB 117, Soc 180i, and H196A

Astro C13: This is one of the first 'Big Ideas' courses that got started this year I believe. It's a combination of astro and biology, studying the time between the big bang to the emergence of humans. It's taught by Elliot Quataert and Charles Marshall. It's a course for non-majors, which is pretty evident in the lectures. I'm not sure about astro (since I've never taken an astro course before), but for the bio section, Marshall keeps it very simple and broad, making sure not to go too in-depth with the material. On the other hand, I'm glad I took IB 113L beforehand because he does go over a lot of the same topics and ideas. I'm pretty sure the astro section is the same way. And because the material doesn't go too deep, you're able to learn astro on a broad and conceptual scale- planet formation, dark matter, etc. There's a lab/section once a week that accompanies this class, and while it's an unnecessarily long two hours, it's not bad (as in, no quizzes haha). The one downside to this class is the weekly homework. Maybe it's because I haven't had homework in a while, but the weekly assignments are a bit annoying, especially because the questions are very vague and I have to go to office hours a lot to fully answer the questions... This class has one midterm and one final, non-cumulative. The midterm was ok- nothing surprising, all short answer and lecture/concept based. Also, there aren't too many words on the lecture slides, so if you're going to take this class, make sure to attend class and take notes :) Class grade breakdown: 10% participation, 40% hw, 20% MT1, and 30% final.

IB 117 (medical ethnobotany): I'm taking this class for a major requirement. I would say it's a typical Carlson class, except this is my first class with him... So i'll say that it's what people call a 'typical Carlson class' haha. The class is about various plants, their medicinal uses, and how it affects us physiologically. He lectures twice a week for an hour and lecture slides are all in the reader. There's one midterm (45%) and one final (55%). The exams are all multiple choice and come from the reader. I was scared that we would need to memorize every small detail, but for the first midterm at least, it was more general detail that was tested. I'm not sure how it'll be for the final though... So far, I enjoy this class- the reader is filled with pictures of places that Carlson has been to and people he's worked with, so it's nice to hear stories like that from time to time.

Soc 180i (Inequality): I took this class because I really like Ivester's classes haha. If you recall from last semester, I took global elites with her (I highly recommend that class!) and wanted to take another class from her this semester. There are two midterms and one final for this class, although the final is just like another midterm since it's weighted the same. It's on a straight point system (40 points for participation via iclicker + 60 points for the 3 exams)- same format as global elites. And she gives you the possible exam questions beforehand so you can prepare; she gives you an hour for the essay. In all, her classes are fun and interesting :)

H196A: I'm doing an honors thesis so I have to take this class haha

I've had my telebears last week (last telebears!) and so far have signed up for IB169, ESPM144, PH116 (all required for me to graduate).

Best of luck during MTs!

-K 

1 comment:

  1. Hey K!
    I have a question regarding about Physics 8A. So I did not do so well in the class (barely passed) is it better to retake the class and boost the grade? I heard from my friend that if I retake the class it will not count toward my gpa.
    Please let me know thank you!

    ReplyDelete