Monday, October 18, 2010

On Applying to College

Over the weekend, I went home and attended one of my friend's birthday parties. There were a lot of high school seniors there who asked a lot of questions on the college application process and med school. So, here are a few things you should know about applying to college:

1. The Essay
I know a lot of people say this, but write about something you are passionate about because it shows. Also, write your essay as if you're talking to a person or writing in a diary. The better the words flow, the more your personality shows through. Another thing, try to write about something unique, a topic that not everyone talks about. Do you have any experiences that helped shape who you are today? Or do you have a special talent that helped you grow, or a special person in your life perhaps that really impacted you? In all, I think the adcoms want to see why they should pick you above the others. So give them a reason to. : )

2. SAT SAT SAT
Throughout my years of high school, people told me test scores aren't everything- that colleges will look for well roundedness just as importantly as test scores. I don't think this is quite true. My opinion is: If your scores don't make their cut, then they won't seriously look at anything else. Moral of the story: SAT/ACT scores are critical. Getting around 1900 and above should be good for UCs, as long as you have extra currics to back you up. While 2200 and above is needed for top tier schools, such as private schools and Ivies. As far as ACTs go, you can think of a 31 as around a 2100. I believe for top tier schools, you need to get around 31~32 and above.

3. Extra Currics
Lets say the adcoms have a pile of applicants with similar test scores. The next thing they will most likely look at is your extra currics (apart from your essay which is, in my opinion, the most crucial part of any application). Once again, they probably want to see what sets you apart from the other applicants. If you have a passion, like juggling, pursue it- write your essay on it ; ). Although, here's something I believe is ironic: make sure you're at least up to par with the other applicants. Meaning, if all the pre-med bio major applicants did volunteering or research, make sure you also have similar activities listed on your application since those activities seem to be pretty standard for bio premed majors.

If you have any further questions about the application process, the essays, or being premed in general, feel free to shoot me an email or comment : )

-K

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just recently stumbled upon your blog half an hour ago. I'm a junior in high school, and I've been furiously searching for more insight into the college admissions process. I'm not sure what I want to major in, though, and that makes choosing extracurriculars difficult. Did you stick to a few extracurriculars and go in-depth with those, or did you try out an array? I am looking to do a mentorship in psychology this summer, and I do plenty of volunteer work, tutoring, and I help put on theater productions, but I'm not sure how I "measure up" to others. I pushed myself really hard this semester to take on extracurriculars (to make up for only doing Band my first and second year), but I realized I just can't put that much pressure on myself. I plan to stick with the volunteer work and the tutoring, and I'm president of the art club, but I don't know if that's necessarily enough. Colleges want students that demonstrate "passion" and commitment, but I don't know what I'm totally passionate about yet!
    Ah, sorry for ranting. Any advice would be helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!
    So glad you could stop by : )

    As far as extracurrics go, I did an array of activities but since I always knew I wanted to go into the medical field with a biology major, I stuck to more academic activities. I also did band freshman year, which took up so much time. So, I wasn't able to do much that year. However, I still competed in science fair and science olympiad. Towards the end of freshman year, I got involved in research, and did research every year until I graduated, competing in science fair with said research. I also did mock trial, math team, science symposium, research programs, and a whole lot of other stuff that I can't remember now hahaha. But my main thing was science and research so I focused most of my energy on that. Not knowing what you want to do later in life is totally cool. You have so many options and opportunities to explore, you should take advantage of that! A mentorship in psych would look good on a college app, but it depends on what you do with the internship. Take it beyond the lab and see what/how/where you can apply it. In other words, make something out of it. : ) And keep doing it because colleges like continuity. As for volunteering and clubs, I don't remember too well, but i don't think the common app (which most top tier and private schools use) has a category for volunteering/clubs. And the college apps have limited spaces, so make sure you put in only the really important/profound activities. In other words, I wouldn't spend TOO much time on clubs. Volunteering is good if, once again, you do something with it or impact the community with your work in some way or show a lot of commitment and passion. I know, confusing right? : )
    Don't worry too much about how you "measure up" to others. Concentrate on what you love to do and make sure that passion shows when it's time to submit college apps (easier said than done hahaha). As for putting pressure on yourself, just remember, you'll only be doing it for another year so give it your all! If you want to stick with volunteering, tutoring, and clubs, make sure you make a big impact with them. Take it outside of the school and into the community- impact lives. : )
    I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck! : )

    ReplyDelete