Thursday, September 19, 2013

On a Tangent: TV Shows

I finally figured out why my computer wasn't letting me log in- so now that that's done, I'll try to be better about posting :P

This past summer, my stress level has been off the charts, so I thought watching TV shows would be a good way to de-stress. Turns out, not such a good idea since I immediately got hooked on these shows and couldn't stop watching haha. But it did help to get my mind off some things. So if you're looking for a quick way to de-stress, here are some shows I recommend (recent ones):


1. Game of Thrones: Yes, admittedly I got on that bandwagon. However, in my defense, I started reading the books long before the show got popular :D In my opinion, the show has a little bit of everything- war, romance, backstabbing, scheming, humor, tragedy, etc. and all the elements are woven very well so that you don't get tired of one element as another one quickly takes its place. The show isn't rushed, like a lot of war/battle shows are and the plot is so convoluted and intricate that the viewers don't have a chance to get bored with it.


2. American Horror Story: for all the horror lovers out there, wow, this show is absolutely amazing. Not just the story lines (for each season has a different story line), but the actors are some of the best I've seen. Luckily, the actors get recycled for each season so they're used over and over again. This is a show that I cannot watch by myself at night, or else I'd get nightmares- the cinematography makes this show extremely creepy. But that's the appeal, right? Each season manages to weave a bunch of elements together such as Nazis, zombies, ghosts, alien abductions- elements that you would think were impossible to put together...but they do it in a way that makes the plot work, if that makes any sense. In other words, they're incorporated very subtly, and most times, I wasn't conscious of an "alien abduction" or "zombies". Hands down, the best show I've ever seen haha.


3. Bates Motel: This is also a creepy one- a prequel series leading up to the Psycho movies (which i haven't seen). This show also seems sort of American Horror Story-esque but not so creepy and not with such implausible story lines. It follows Norman Bates and his mother, Norma Bates, who've bought a motel after an incident forces them to move from their old place. A lot of things happen during the episodes, but what seems to be the main focus of the show is how Norman changes throughout these episodes- his mental stability seems to be slipping more and more and that's what's scary to me- his instability. This is a show that I just started watching and it's in it's first season, so we'll see how it goes- but so far, it's very good!


4. Lost Girl: A canadian show that's on the Syfy channel I believe- tells a story of a woman who discovers that she's a succubus (a mythological creature that appears in dreams and kills people by feeding off their sexual energy). It's not as big-budget as the previous three shows are, but it has interesting plots and incorporates a lot of myth, which is always fun to watch :)



5. The Walking Dead: I was skeptical about this one and put it off for a long time- I wasn't sure how they could pull off a zombie show, especially when the 1hr 30min time block for the movies seemed long enough to start and finish a zombie apocalypse.. But I was surprised at how good this show was, although it got slow at times. As one might expect, the show follows a group of people who are fighting to stay alive day by day and find some refuge anywhere they can.. Not too many plot twists, but the group dynamic is very interesting and intense- and you don't know who's going to die off the next day.

So these are the most recent/best shows I've watched during the past semester and summer, and ones that I highly recommend to anyone looking for shows to watch. I know I've missed many good ones, Breaking Bad, Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, etc. but I feel like a lot of people already watch those shows, and the ones listed here are not as well known (minus Game of Thrones haha). If you have any recommendations, please don't hesitate to comment!

-K 

1 comment:

  1. Hey K, I know that you've been busy, but can you make a post soon about how your MCAT went, as well as options for after undergrad, such as post-bacc programs? Love your blog btw, and I'm also a fellow IB pre-med! : )

    ReplyDelete