Friday, December 3, 2010

On Saying Farewell

Today was the last day of my very first semester in college and my first real pursuit of being a pre-med at UC Berkeley.

Man, was it hard.

But it's not over since I still have to take my finals.

So, here is some info about the classes that I took this semester, which I hope will help you in picking classes (should you come to UC Berkeley):

- Chem 1A (general chemistry): Hard, very hard. If you're not premed, I advise you to take this class in the spring with an easier teacher. However, if you are premed, then taking chem 1A in the fall might help you on the MCATs. I'm not completely sure since I haven't taken the MCATs yet, but that's what I hear.

-Math 16A: Easy, very easy. I believe i've only gone to two lectures during the whole semester (in the beginning) and I've managed to get very high grades on both my midterms. I can't say the same thing about the final just yet. If you're planning on being an IB major, then I'd advise you to take the 16 series. However, if you're planning to be a MCB major, then you have to take math 1A, which I hear is quite difficult, even if you scored well on the AP test.

-Anthro 2AC: Decent class. The professor (Lightfoot) is very enthusiastic about the subject. The tests are fair and the discussions are pretty easy. It's a great class to fulfill a breadth requirement.

-Psych 2: easy class. The GSI who teaches the course (Rosner) is somewhat monotonous but can be funny at times. The exams are fairly easy and your lowest out of 3 is dropped.

Getting a good GPA in college, and especially at UC Berkeley, is very hard. I didn't realize this until I calculated my possible gpa. In high school, getting an A or A- doesn't affect your GPA. However in college, it does.

In all, I think my first semester in college was a success, regardless of grades and gpa. How, you ask? Well, for one thing, I made a successful transition from home to college. I had so much fun this semester with my roommates and the new friends I made. I was able to see professors who truly cared about their subject matter and was excited to share their knowledge with their students. Too bad my gpa will be abysmal.. hahaha ; )

-K

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm a premed also but I was thinking about taking Chem 1A in the fall but because my other classes conflict with chem I decided to take it in the spring. Does it matter if I take it in the spring or is it better to take it the next fall?
    Please let me know soon!

    ReplyDelete